Medicaid Services for the DeafRead More
Five Apps to Help Lower Prescription Drug Costs
Fortunately, today’s technology has provided several tools that you can use to take the hard work or guesswork out of tracking down the best prices for your medication. Most of these apps work in similar ways, and all are free to download and use.
- GoodRx: GoodRx, which claims to be the #1 prescription comparison and discount app for iOS and Android, lets users compare current prices and discounts for FDA-approved prescription drugs at over 70,000 pharmacies located in the U.S. Additionally, GoodRx lets users compare prices at online pharmacies. The app also allows users to print, email or text free coupons that they can then present to the pharmacist to save on prescription costs at pharmacies.GoodRx claims that users can save up to 80 percent on the costs of prescription meds. Since GoodRx makes money from referral fees and advertisements, it is completely free for users.
- LowestMed: LowestMed lays claim to being the first free mobile app enabling users to compare drug prices and get coupons. Users can type their zip codes and the names of their drugs into the app, to then compare prices at local pharmacies. At checkout, users can show the pharmacist a discount code from their phone or present the LowestMed discount card. Obtaining and using the LowestMed app or discount card does not require any registration.
- OneRx: OneRx is a free app and website that lets both insured and uninsured users search for prescription drugs, compare prices, choose a pharmacy and save on costs by getting discounts and coupons that they can present to the pharmacist. Users can either download the app or use the OneRx website instead. OneRx offers the OneRx Drug Savings Card, which uninsured users can use to get discounts for most prescription drugs. Insured users can use the OneRx card to get discounts on drugs, but they must first decline to use their insurance benefits. OneRx will let insured customers know whenever using the OneRx Drug Savings card will save them more than using insurance benefits.With the OneRx app and website, users have the option to search for prices and discounts by condition, such as diabetes, instead of just searching by prescription name.
- WeRx: Like the discount prescription apps above, WeRx lets users compare local drug prices. However, it also conveniently allows users to report drug prices in the area. This unique kind of user participation allows WeRx’s price information to stay up-to-date, and price searches through WeRx generally include a wide range of small pharmacies.
- RxSavingsPlus: RxSavingsPlus is a program operated by CVS Caremark, a subsidiary of CVS Health, but it can be used to get discounts at over 65,000 participating pharmacies, or nine out of 10 pharmacies in every state in the U.S. It offers a discount prescription card that registered users can print and present at participating pharmacies to get discounts on medications for all household members. RxSavingsPlus can save users up to 70 percent on prescription drug costs, and claims to save its users an average of 22 percent. It does not have the same price comparison features as the other apps featured here. As an added bonus, however, the RxSavingsPlus card can be used to get discounts on some medications for pets, as long as the medication is one that humans also use. Uninsured users can also use the card to save up to 10 percent at MinuteClinic locations.